2019 Molecular Pathology Series (ASCPi) Online Registration
The Lectures and workshops provide basic molecular pathology knowledge according to the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) curriculum to better prepare the examination for International Technologist in Molecular Biology, MB(ASCPi).
Prof Allen CHAN, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Dr Chris CHAN, Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital
Dr Nelson Chan, Prince of Wales Hospital
Dr Lillian CHOW, Hong Kong Accreditation Service
Dr C H KAN, St Teresa’s Hospital
Dr Stephen LAM, Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital
Dr Patrick LAW, Pangenia Lifesciences Limited
Mr Stephen LO, Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospital
Dr Edmond SK MA, Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital
Dr Tony TONG, Clinical Genetic Service, Department of Health
Prof Thomas WAN, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Dr Chris WONG, Hong Kong Molecular Pathology Diagnostic Centre
Dr WC YAM, The University of Hong Kong
Prof SP YIP, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Dr Timothy YIP, ACT Genomics Hong Kong
Course Organizing and ASCP Liaison Officer:
Dr Thomas KW LING, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Dr Chris WONG, Hong Kong Molecular Pathology Diagnostic Centre
Mr H Y LAM, Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital – email@example.com
Recommended Reading books:
ASCP QUICK COMPENDIUM COMPANION FOR MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY
Hong Kong Society for Molecular Diagnostic Sciences Limited
c/o The Federation of Medical Societies of Hong Kong
4/F, Duke of Windsor Social Service Building,
15, Hennessy Road, Hong Kong SAR
Fax: (852) 3743 4679
REGULATIONS AND RULES
||Rules and Regulations
||Students shall observe all rules and regulations prescribed by the Hong Kong Society for Molecular Diagnostic Sciences Limited (HKSMDS), (hereinafter referred to as "the Society").
||An applicant seeking admission to this course shall have fulfilled the entrance requirements: (1) Baccalaureate degree or Graduate level degree (Master’s, Doctorate, or equivalent) in any biological or chemical science and (2) at least one year of experience in molecular diagnostics in an accredited/approved laboratory. (Letter of recommendation from current employer is required).
If the applicants want to join the US ASCPi examination, they must satisfy the requirements of at least one of the following routes:
ROUTE 1: ASCPi certified as a technologist/scientist (MT/MLS, CG, CT, HTL, BB, C, H, or M) or specialist (SBB, SC, SCT, SH, or SM) AND a baccalaureate degree from an accredited/approved** educational institution.
ROUTE 2: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited/approved** educational institution AND successful completion of an accredited/approved** diagnostic molecular science program which includes an internship. Academic education or molecular science program must include courses in biological science and chemistry.
ROUTE 3: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited/approved** educational institution AND successful completion of a minimum two-year Medical Laboratory program**. The training program must include blood banking (immunohematology), chemistry, hematology, and microbiology.
ROUTE 4: Baccalaureate degree in any biological science or chemistry from an accredited/approved** educational institution, or a baccalaureate degree from accredited/approved** educational institution with a minimum of 30 semster hours in biology and/or chemistry AND one year acceptable experience (clinical, veterinary, industry or research) in a molecular biology laboratory* in an accredited/approved*** laboratory.
ROUTE 5: Graduate level degree (Master’s, Doctorate) in any biological science or chemistry from an accredited/approved** educational institution AND six months acceptable experience (clinical, veterinary, industry, or research) in a molecular biology laboratory* in an accredited/approved*** laboratory.
* A molecular biology laboratory is defined as one capable of providing individuals with knowledge and practical experience in all aspects of molecular analysis including, but not limited to, recombinant DNA technologies, polymerase chain reaction, and hybridization techniques.
** Accredited/approved by a governing regulatory association or Ministry. Countries without a prevalent system of accreditation/approval must have programs/educational institutions approved by an International Advisory Board appointed by the ASCP Board of Certification, or eligibility will be determined by transcript evaluation. The baccalaureate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. Baccalaureate degree.
*** Laboratory accredited by JCI, CAP, under ISO 15189 or authorized by a governing regulatory association or Ministry. Countries without a prevalent system of accreditation must have laboratories approved by an International Advisory Board appointed by the ASCP Board of Certification.
To fulfill the experience requirement for the International Technologist in Molecular Biology examination, you must have laboratory experience in one of the following areas:
- Genetics/Genomics (e.g. genotyping, gene disorders, pharmacogenomics, genome-wide analysis)
- Oncology (e.g. hematologic lymphoid neoplasms/neoplasia, solid tumour gene markers)
- Histocompatibility (DNA-based)
- Infectious Disease (molecular microbiology/virology)
- Molecular Identity Testing (e.g. bone marrow engraftment, paternity, forensic)
||The fees once paid shall not be refunded, except under very special circumstances.
|| An applicant has to complete the on-line registration at Below documents are required to upload
A. Your highest academic certificate (e.g. PhD, MPhil, MSc or BSc)
B. Letter of recommendation from current employer (if available)
C. One recent colour photograph
||First come first serve, HKSMDS Members have first priority (HKSMDS academic committee has the right on the final decision).
||After our confirmation of registration, you will receive a confirmation email with payment link (by PayPal). The applicants will receive the electronic receipt. Payment by cheque or cash is not accepted.
||All information received will be handled in strict confidence and used only for course application purposes. Applications will not be processed if information / documents provided are incomplete.
||A student shall register in the name which appears in his Hong Kong Identity Card or passport.
||A student shall inform the Secretariat immediately of any change of email address which solely use for communication between the Society and the student or other particulars entered in the student’s registration record.
||Taught Language and Course Materials: English
||Examination and Grades
||A student, who shall have ≥80% attendance (course + workshop), is eligible to take course examination. Grades of examination result will be Distinction, Pass and Fail.
||Absence from examinations
- A student who for medical or other compelling reasons is unable to sit for the course examination shall apply in writing with documentary evidence at the earliest possible moment but not later than 10 days after the examination concerned to the secretariat for permission for absence. In the case of illness/injury, the application shall be accompanied by a certificate signed by registered medical practitioner.
- If his application for absence is successful, a student may be otherwise assessed at the discretion of the Society concerned.
- A student who is absent from any examination without permission shall be given a failure grade in that examination.
||General Arrangements for Classes and Examinations on Approach of Typhoons and Rainstorms
||Suspension of Classes
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is issued before 2:00pm, lecture or workshop will be suspended.
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is issued during a class period, lecture or workshop will be suspended immediately. When the black rainstorm signal is still inforce, students are advised to take shelter in a safe place until the weather and traffic conditions have improved.
- Typhoon Signal No. 1 or No. 3 and Amber or Red Rainstorm Signal - Examination to be held as scheduled.
- Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above and black Rainstorm Signal which issued after the start of the examination - Examination will continue until the end of the session.
- Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above and black Rainstorm Signal which issued after 2 pm of the day of examination - Examination will be postponed.
- Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above and black Rainstorm Signal which lowered on or before 2 pm of the day of examination - Examination to be held as scheduled.
||Public announcements on suspension of classes or postponement of public examinations made by the Education Bureau and the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority are not applicable to this course examination.
||Arrangements of examination postponement
The student will be informed with the details of postponement by email.
||Certificate of Attendance will be granted to each lecture and workshop
||Certificate of Course: ≥80% attendance (course + workshop) + Pass in examination.
||A student who violates any rule or regulation and/or commits any misconduct such as:
- defamation of or assault on or battery against the person of any member of the Society;
- wilful damage to or defacement of any property of the Society;
- plagiarism in written assignments or cheating in examinations;
- falsification or serious misuse of Lecture materials without permission of the lecturers;
||Disciplinary action may take the form of termination of studies. Such penalty may be imposed only with the approval of the Academic Committee of the Society.
||A student, on being informed of a decision to take disciplinary action against him, may within 7 days write to request the Society Council to review the decision.
||Photography, Video or Audio recording is prohibited during the class.
Agree & Continue Online Registration